Synopsis: “Being Different, Being Loved”
Matilda (premiere 2010)
Matilda is a bright little girl who is very eager to learn. Her insensitive parents send her to a school run by Miss Trunchbull, a cruel authoritarian who loathes children. Matilda befriends her school teacher, Miss Honey. This musical adapted by Dennis Kelly with music and lyrics by Tim Minchin centres on Matilda, a precocious girl with the gift of telekinesis, who loves reading. Matilda overcomes obstacles caused by her family and school, and helps her teacher reclaim her life. The main idea of Matilda is that even if you are smaller or younger, if you set your mind to it you can achieve anything. Finally, even though she was different from other children, she found someone who loves her.
Wicked (premiere 2003)
Wicked, written by Winnie Holzman, music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz tells the story of two unlikely friends, Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch. They were so different but they each just wanted to be loved. It is a story of their friendship.
Five things to learn from Wicked:
- Never judge from face value. The green-faced Elphaba was good while the great wizard was a fake.
- Friendship stands the test of time. (Elphaba and Glinda)
- Always help the lowly and outcast.
- Good deeds may not always be rewarded, but do them because “no good deed goes unpunished”.
- Keep getting up even if you fall, and you might just “defy gravity”.
Date: 24 & 25 November 2018 (Sat. & Sun.)Time: 4pm & 8pmVenue: Jabatan Kebudayaan & Kesenian Negara Perak, Jalan Caldwell, 30350 Ipoh.Contact: 012 588 2313